Sunday, May 8, 2011

April is over

If honestly I'm having a hard time remembering yesterday's events let alone last week's... I have to look in my calendar and diary to understand what happened here.
Easter is gone. We planned to have a service at 5:30AM but it was cancelled due to rain. But I had my own early Easter service when I woke up from thunder, lightning and rain at 2:30am. I had never experienced a thunderstorm at Easter! The rain stopped around breakfast time and we had a meeting at 8:00am as usually on Sundays. Teacher Erlin had prepared a special drama with the older boys with an almost real giant stone at the Jesus' tomb, angel, women, disciples and Jesus himself who rose from the read. Good job!
Secretary Sharon and I went to an Ayoreo village to buy a gift for pastor's granddaughter Liz Daniel on her birthday. But since they didn't sell anything there we borrowed bikes and rode to "porter" - the little shop by Rincon's gates. Opa! I had never had such extreme bike ride before. Mud up to my knees! And I'm not over-exaggerating! of course there were some normal road sections when we rode normally. But we spent a great part of the road splotching through the mud and pushing our bikes. What an adventure. I spent about 10 minutes washing the mud off my legs. The mud is really pungent here, it's not coming off so easily. When I was clean I met my Latvian friends and we went to the little girl's birthday party which took place in her court where also ducks live... oh... how I would love to have a roasted duck... don't worry - I didn't touch them :D Teacher had bought the big speakers with batteries we use for special events on football field and we had really loud Christian children songs in Spanish. There was a huge cake, the famous empanadas and something like a hotdog. The little girl was very excited to do the birthday tradition - stick her face in the cake. Then pastor's monkey came and made a lot of noise. An hour later the celebration was over and everyone returned to their places. Something special happened at night - girls watched "Fireproof" in Spanish. Oh how happy I was to watch a movie I had seen in Latvia... Girls were laughing most of the time though. They laugh about everything.
Then during the week I had my regular responsibilities in school, kitchen and dorms. But on Monday night Ondina, Velta and I had an unusually long, deep and special conversation and prayer about a lot of things. Such a blessing! Then twice I was visited by some Ayoreo craftswomen and I was able to by some unique bracelets, necklaces and even earrings. My friends in Latvia will understand how happy I was for that. This week we received Baptistu Vēstnesis (Baptist newsletter) and Marta un Marija (Baptist women's magazine) from Latvia. Then we three Latvians took turns and read them. And I was surprised to see that there was and article in Marta and Marija about me going to Rincon written by my mom. My dear mom, I read it with tears in my eyes and smile on my face... so special... please save a copy of this issue for me! :) And big thank you to Latvian Baptist union for sending these magazines here every month! We look forward to receive them and read them with great interest!
We also celebrated pastor's son Daniel's birthday. I had the honor to decorate his cake and pour water on him at night... of course, you have to do it when he doesn't expect it :) everyone was very proud of me and said that I quickly learn the local traditions. Daniel said that I should watch out... but he didn't take revenge :D

No comments:

Post a Comment