Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 1 and 4

I felt like in Latvia during these holidays. Firstly due to the cold weather. Wow, it has never been so cold here while I'm here - 12, 13, 14C (53-57F)... I know, I know - my dear Latvians are now smiling and saying - you don't know what cold is because it was -30C (-22F) this winter :) But the thing is that we have there 55F both outside and inside. There is no heating in the school so for several days I was wearing both of my two jackets, coat and scarf and wished I had taken more warm clothes with me. It is a little difference when you have +35C (95F) one day and 15C (55F) the other. We have not had a morning Bible class for the past few days because it's too cold at school at 6:15AM.
Since Labour day fell in Sunday this year we had a day off and celebration on Monday. And as it is usually - we had a ceremony at school and then mighty football games. In the morning I made a video of little and big Bolivians and Ayoreos praising different occupations. They quoted poetry, sang songs and showed different dramas. I love how they take things seriously. If they talk about cattle-farmers then they put on full cowboy outfit find real horse harnesses and different other elements that made their show really impressive and genuine. Then I had to take responsibility for all my 60 chicas - we went to "cancha" - the football field. I told them to find socks and long pants so we don't get cold on the field. When everyone had dressed we made a nice line and went to the football field. We spend almost all day there. I felt like a mother of many, many, many. I took girls to the restroom, greeted parents, gave them a permission to take their girls for a walk and received the girls back after the walk. It's the order here. If parents come to visit they have to ask for a "permiso" to go somewhere with their kids. Since Velta was working in the kitchen I stayed with the girls. And it was really interesting to meet all the parents and grandparents who had come here. I had longer conversations with some of them, they wanted to know why I am here and what I am doing here :) A mother gave me 5 tomatoes when she returned her daughter :) They are very precious here! Now I have a tomato every morning (for 5 days) to put on my sandwich... mmm... how delicious are tomato sandwiches... I had already forgotten...
The morning of May 4 was sunnier already but with only 12C (53F). it was SO hard to get out of the bed... it's a lot nicer under 3 blankets than in my cold room... but I did it. It's not the only time in my life when I have to wake up in a cold room. And this morning was different and more special than other mornings because Ondina, Velta and I went to school together! Since I had a Latvian folk costume with me I thought that May 4 Latvia's Restoration of Independence day would be the right time to show it to the students. We practiced The Latvian anthem and went to the morning flag ceremony with Latvian flags in our hands. Principal Panfila shortly told that a group of Latvians started this mission in 1946, then we sang our national anthem and teacher Erlin prayed for Latvia... a beautiful morning. And last night it was dark and cold so I prayed that this holiday morning would be bright and happy for the tree of us and everyone else, too. And God made it even prettier than I had imagined. Moreover, our dear brother Janis returned to Rincon this morning after being away for 2 months! We thought he's lost somewhere. We really looked forward for him to come back. And we just had lunch together... it was so nice... when his place at the table, his plate was not empty but always smiling Janis was sitting there! And when he saw me in the national costume he said: Yes... Latvia's national costume is the most beautiful! And more so when a Latvian girl is wearing it... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment