Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ondina's birthday

Oops, I don't have time to write down everything that's been going on anymore. I apologize that I'm not very regular in my messages but I do everything I can!
Ondina's birthday was a week ago but now I finally have time to sit down and write about it. So the first thing in the morning was to give some Latvian treats to my friend. She was very happy. One of her first questions that day was to Velta: When will they give her birthday cake? She wanted to know that because when the birthday person is cutting the cake other pour water on him or her. Velta didn't tell her. when Ondina went to her dentist's office  I started to make her a chocolate cake! I finished it in the afternoon and was very happy that I was able to make the cake by myself starting from the dough till the icing :) To Ondina's surprise we didn't greet her during lunch even though she had prepared for it and changed clothes she's  ok to get wet in. Even though she didn't get the cake yet, the main water pourer secretary Sharon gave her the first birthday "shower". While they were pouring water on Ondina, a boy rode by on a donkey. Velta called me to see and film the beautiful view. The donkey was small and slow, the boy was tall and his legs almost dragged on the ground. He was very kind and let me not only take a video but also ride the donkey myself. The donkey was very patient, didn't mind my clumsiness :D But he was so slow! He moves forward only if you ask him very kindly. Pastor brought Velta the mail he had picked up the day before. There were some things for me too. I received a parcel from Bazil - from Zanda and Thiago. They sent me a book "Kite runner" and some goodies for my body too. When I started to read the book, it was hard to put it aside and leave the room... Huge Thank you, dears!!! And the other thing I received was my first letter from Latvia, from my dear Svoks. Mom, dad and brother Karlis had written a page each. I was so happy to read it I cried right there in the kitchen. I read it and felt like I was in Latvia a little... Thank you dears!
We finally gave Ondina the cake in the evening and she got another birthday "shower". She was completely wet but happy because everyone had come together for dinner at the same time. Usually we all have only Sunday lunch together, but today everyone came together. Our everyday metal cups were exchanged for glasses. And we had a special drink - local coke with a lot of bubbles. We sang "Compleaños feliz", "showered" Ondina, prayed for her, hugged her and gave kisses. We ate a special birthday meal - lasagna (yuummmmmm) and then was the cake. I love when they have special occasions in Rincon. And I love even more that the birthday girl was so excited. We sat there at the table when everyone else had gone already, ate the last pieces of the cake and she was simply so happy. It is so beautiful! Ondinas joy is definitely contagious :)
After that I had to take cake of the dirty dishes, of course, sell cookies, check teeth and feet of my chicas... and when the lights went out I had such a good feeling. It was one of those days when you know that it was worth to go to the other side of the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment