Monday, April 25, 2011

One more week in horse speed

That’s how fast the time is flying by. You blink an eye and the day is gone... today was the same (April 19). It’s been 3 months since I arrived in Rincon and I’ve been away from Latvia for 3,5 months. Of course, of course I miss home. Sometimes I salivate thinking about a tasty Latvian food. Sometimes I miss someone to death, or a hug, or a shoulder, a conversation, an event in Latvia. I’m love to take a bath, wash my clothes in a washing machine, go to cinema or theater, I’d love to skype, call, chat with someone.. But you know - you can live without all those things when you don’t have other options! And I don’t have... And it builds up my character! There are some brave people who practice for marathon in Latvia (don’t they? :) ) But I train my character every day... and I’m very grateful to God for that. Although this gratitude doesn’t always come with shout of excitement. I can tell you honestly. But my gratitude is always genuine.
What has happened this week? Ondina and I went for a walk through Ayoreo villages last Sunday. We walked along clay and mud houses with straw roofs, across small rain created streams in the lower parts of the road where local women washed clothes or their children, passed thinner or thicker jungle parts. We walked to Rincon gates, where is a shop. I bought candles and waffles Ondina and I ate on our way home. A giant tarantula visited my bathroom this week and crawled down the wall... it seemed he’s coming my direction but luckily during the night he disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.
One day pastor Samuel had to go to court to get legal rights to keep a tractor the mission had bought. Bolivian policeman confiscated it when they took the tractor to Rincon. The police had suspicions that something illegal is going on. We prayed and after 2 years of waiting they allowed the mission to get back their tractor. Theoretically at least :)
Fall is coming here. Seriously! Few mornings ago at 3 or 4 AM I felt like I need a blanket and I wore a cardigan when I had my breakfast! It’s something VERY rare. Some leaves are falling... and it’s not +39C anymore, it’s just +30C, +33C, +35C... sometimes it’s only +25C. One morning was the coldest - only +17C! But it’s hot again today. I have given Velta 2 computer classes. She is a very good student! I got lice! I was so happy I had escaped those insects for such a long time almost every girl has here. But I got them. I treated them with a really smelly poison and then washed them out with laundry soap :) I smelled a bit. But my head is clean now. A new building is being built in Rincon. There will be snack shop, school supply shop, and mission office. First trimester of school is over and we have to give grades to students. Therefore I had to work more with students who have lower grades. I remember how we begged the teachers to give us better grades... now I was surrounded with many hopeful and some desperate eyes. This Sunday I managed to connect my video camera with the TV and girls and I had a movie time with popcorn that Helena send from Nova Odessa. Big thank you! Popcorn was gone immediately. I’m very happy for this afternoon - girls very really excited to see my videos. I showed them last moments from Riga airport, my beautiful week in Brazil etc. It was interesting for myself to remember all these events :) Ondina and I hit a papaya palm with  stick and we got a papaya - it was so delicious!!! There was Palm Sunday, it was literally Palm Sunday, the church was decorated with real jungle palm leaves! What a beauty! A prayer for girls health was beautifully answered, she had a high fever one night and she was crying. We prayed that she would get better. An hour later she was able to get out of her bed and sit, and the very next day she went to school smiling. God also answered prayer for Velta’s back. One bone got misplaced one day. It’s unbelievable but the bone got back to it’s place itself. 
I recelved two fantactic letters from Latvia last week - this time big thank you goes to Anete K. and Liene P. - they gave me both emotional and gastronomical pleasure. Huge thank you! It took very long for these letters to arrive here based on the stamps but it’s good that they came. One night I was homesick... I missed Latvia and home so much... I cried... but then I pulled myself together and continued to go forward!
Doctors visited dorms the other day, they gave a shot. Girls made me get the shot too and now I have got a shot against tantum or something... I didn’t quite understand what it is but the nurse said I need it. OK. Now I’m imune to a local disease!
Everything is OK. I’m still in the right place and the right time. And at the end I want to quote Paul: God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight.“/Phil. 1:8,9/ Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment