Sunday, April 17, 2011

Saturday's darkness and Sunday's light

Last Saturday was very dark because it rained all the time. And when I said it rained I didn't mean the sprinkling kind of rain. When it rains here everything gets wet in a second and stays that way for a long time. And when it rains, it gets very dark. I went to kitchen after siesta and looked into one of the girls' rooms. And it was such a sad view... all girls sit there with sad faces. There was supposed to be a parents' meeting today when girls could see their parents but it was canceled due to the rain. Girls were really sad about that and the darkness and wetness deepened the sadness. They saw me and I could see it in their eyes they were begging me to enlighten them somehow! They explained why they are so sad and then they told me they would like to listen to some music. I really understand them. It's hard to stay in good mood in days like these. So I found Velta, got her permission to take her cassette player that runs on batteries and played some Spanish music for girls. They were so excited and started to smile! The jumped out of their beds and ran to me, hugged and thanked me and sat around the table. There was a paper with lyrics and the first one who got this paper sang along all the songs. I couldn't leave this happy place and started to braid their hair, we talked and laughed... and it felt like the room is full of light, even though it had actually become darker outside. And this was one of the moments I would like to put in a little golden frame and add to the gallery of my favorite moments. Girls are so thirsty for love, friendship and time spent together. It's so hard for them to be away from parents and families so long. And Velta doesn't have enough time to spend time with each one of them. So I'm glad that I can find time to be with them. This time has great value!
However the next day - Sunday was full of sunshine even though dangerous looking clouds were walking around. Ondina said that the weather is unpredictable and dangerous but we risked and went on a Sunday walk. We went to the local dam that I had not seen yet. We walked though nice mud, a meadow full of thistles, a cow herd and reached a bamboo and eucalyptus grove. There was a really wonderful view to the so called dam, I wanted to call it a lake. It seemed that we have found the small version of heaven. Under the bamboos were refreshed by a nice breeze that rustled the bamboo leaves and gently pounded their trunks. The water mirrored cumulus clouds. There were some islands in the lake, a million lilies bloomed there and completely peaceful long legged water birds stood there. Horses were walking on the other side of the lake though the jungle. Some tall palms stood there, too. There was a waterfall a bit further. Usually it's just a small brook coming out of the dam but since it had rained so heavy a day before this small brook had grown about 4 times bigger and made quite a view. Ondina and I sat down on a big bamboo trunk that had fallen down and simply enjoyed everything that was around us. What an idyll... it would be my number 1 place where I would take you if you came to visit me. Then we went to another side where Rincon's cows and bulls gave us suspicious looks and sounds. We came to a palm alley that grew into a palm forest. Combined with the mountains in the background and the excellent clouds it made one wonderful view. You just want to praise God in moments like these! When we returned to Rincon's court we saw something special. Velta had found some time to sit down with girls just to be with them. You could hear Bolivian music, Velta was holding an encyclopedia on her lap and a group of girls listened to the information read by Velta with a genuine interest. After each fact you could hear a nice or sometimes funny comment or question. Some were sitting there and sucking the mate tea, others were fixing each other's hair and looking for bugs... and I walked up to them and felt such a beautiful peace, a cloud of comfort. The girls were happy, so was Velta. And I too, of course! This Sunday's light gave me such a nice sleep. I hadn't had it for a long time. I thing I fell asleep in a second and didn't wake up during the night which is very rare!

No comments:

Post a Comment