Friday, February 18, 2011

Bloody Saturday

I have no better word to describe last Saturday. It was bloody, indeed. But don't panic - I'm well and so are other Rinconians. The blood came from a cow because it was butchered. Workers butcher a cow every Saturday morning. Probably it was cow's husband this time, I didn't notice such delicate details. Locals told me a joke that bull's greatest insult is being called a cow after its death :D
So we divided this killed animal in different parts - a part of it was given for selling to local people, the other part is for meals for the whole Rincon household. And I was really surprised that one such cattle is enough to feed about 16 people every day + to be sold to about 30 customers; each of them buys several kilograms for their families. I had this unforgettable experience to be at the kitchen with older girls, we had to divide the cow into certain pieces. So I was as close to the cow as I've never been... I was in its lungs, throat, heart and other body parts. WOW! And the weirdest thing was that it was still really warm in some places... and there was so much blood. I apologize to those who have weaker nerves, but I really wanted to share this experience because I had never done it before. I was cutting the cow with my big knife for about an hour... then I literally got sick of it and I did something a lot nicer - something that didn't involve blood. It was a sweet and pleasant task - we made a cake for Velta. We celebrated 50 years of her ministry in Rincon on Sunday. There will be another anniversary on February 25 - she will turn 75... and most of these years have been spent in Rincon working hard, persistently and unceasingly. Therefore she really had deserved a big cake which we succeeded to make. I had to decorate it. Oh how I loved it after all that blood! I stirred a really sweet frosting we later colored with all kinds of artificial food colors. The cake turned out really tasty on the inside and pleasing to the eye on the outside. I really hope that one day I'll have enough time to add some pictures to my stories.
I could add to this past Saturday that in my previous post about 1 month away from Latvia I got too excited too soon about being used to living creatures on this side of the world. I have some new night adventures. The big night-moths have begun to crash on my forehead! Yes - on my forehead! And why? Why should they do it? And then there are new black beetles that crawl under my blanket and in other places, where it's impolite to crawl... awful feeling!!! And then the cockroaches... oh.. but thank God Velta gave me some ant poison that also works for cockroaches. The poison is a white powder that you put on the floor and in the morning you sweep away the dead bodies. Good stuff! I recommend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment