Saturday, February 19, 2011

Other than bloody days and crazy night life...

Something new and interesting happens every day. For example, about OMO. Have you heard of such washing powder? So, Undine and I were at a shop in Puerto Suarez, Bolivia and she suggested I buy OMO because it will be very useful to me. OK, if she says so. Turns out OMO does everything! Of course you wash your clothes with it, but it is also used to wash the dishes, floors, furniture, glass, sinks, tiles and everything else you might want to wash. OMO is good for everything!
Then I was learning Bolivian anthem with the girls. If it is sung so often here I should get acquainted with it. I wrote down all 9 verses and we sung it. I loved that author of the lyrics is HOSE IGNASIO! Those who remember once legendary serial "The rich also cry" (first decent soap shown in Latvia) will understand my excitement about his name :)
I love that they make covers for everything! Girls have made covers for all their books and notebooks. But they are not nice plastic slips our kids in Latvia can buy. So what they use for book covers... once I was organizing the storage room and found several boxes with used plastic bags and other pieces of plastic. I asked Velta, if I can throw them away because I thought they were useless scraps. But I learned that they are stored there for children to cover their books when the school starts. They also use magazines, posters and  calendars... and when Sunday school starts all teachers receive notebooks. And they also have covers!!! From very interesting scientific articles. And everyone also received a pen that doesn't write. How do I know so well what was given to them? Because I received such gift myself. Late on Saturday night I received a message that I have to teach a Sunday school class next morning!!! WOW! One teacher couldn't come and she asked me to substitute her because there is no one else who could do it... OK, I agreed. So on Sunday I had this unique opportunity to teach a group of 13 boys (4th, 5th and 6th grade) - all in Spanish! I really don't know how much they understood :D But we learned the Bible verse very well. It was a big challenge because younger kids are having a hard time understanding wrong Spanish. So I had to use all my knowledge of grammar to be able to speak fairly well. Then I taught them the "Si, Christo me ama" song in English and Latvian. They sung with a great passion :D I really like those kids... it's OK that I still have "some" imperfections in my Spanish...
"Simba" which means a braid is one of the most popular words lately. Girls noticed that I know how to french braid. Therefore every night and every morning there is a dark head that needs a hairdo. Their hair is so nice! They all have dark, dark and thick, thick hair - kind of hair they'd show in a Pantene shampoo commercial. Beautiful!
Then I have discovered that magazines have some really interesting reading material! So far I've been too lazy to read magazine articles, I just looked at the pictures. One day when the weather was bad and I wasn't feeling well, I spent more time in my room and checked what Zanda had given me - some Latvian women magazines. And now I tell her a big Thank you! I had never read magazines with such interest before - from cover to cover! And all of a sudden it all seemed so interesting and important :D So if anyone has a chance to send me some reading material , I'd be REALLY happy :) I will have some time to read... and my only literature here are English, Latvian and Spanish Bibles. They have earned a new value, too. I see and understand many things like I've never understood before. Now I'm reading Acts with an excitement I have never had before. But sometimes I want to read something different, too, you know? :) But in general I'm not picky about reading material :) I'll take anything!
OK, that's all for now. Tonight's electricity minutes are coming to an end. Sweet dreams :)

No comments:

Post a Comment