Saturday, February 5, 2011

About Bolivians

Hello dears!
It's Sunday night and I'm sitting in Velta's room. First kids arrived today and they're staying in the dorms. I can hear them through the walls. WOW, they can make some noise! And it's going to get louder. It's also interesting to watch all the teachers who have arrived here to begin their work on Tuesday. I've discovered many interesting things about the locals. Almost all of them wear long jeans even though it's +30C (+86F), +35C  (+95F) or even hotter! And since I didn't want to stand out in the first meeting (although I did anyway), I also wore jeans... oh my goodness how hot it was! No wonder they fan all the time even though it wasn't so hot outside that day... only +27C (+80F)... People, please wear shorts! After the meeting I put my jeans in the furthest corner of my closet, may they wait for me there until the temperature drops. Another interesting thing is that they all carry a washcloth with them. At first I couldn't understand why they are doing it. But they use them to fan themselves, wipe off sweat and keep the crazy mosquitoes away. If they don't have a washcloth they have a roll of toilet paper in their bags that they take out once in a while to wipe off sweat. Some use branches from the nearby trees for that! Bolivians and Ayoreos are actually pretty short. When I stand next to some of the teachers I have to slightly look downwards... which never happens in Latvia taking into account that I'm 1.62m (5'3") :D And many of the teachers are young men who look even younger than they are because they're so short - they look like they should be students themselves. And some behave like that :) For example, one used a paper roll to keep off mosquitoes, kill them, move them on the blackboard and communicated with them in other ways :D It was quite entertaining. At least I had something to keep my eye on when I no longer understood what they were talking about in the meeting. I loved that many approached me after the meeting and tried to say something in English. For example, they said 'Good afternoon!' and are were very happy that I understood them :) I've got a feeling that this is going to be a very exciting school year! I'll definitely discover much more new to wonder about. OK, I'll run back to my room while I can still see the road :)

No comments:

Post a Comment