Saturday, February 12, 2011

Profe Liene begins to work

You can congratulate me - today (February 7th) I taught my first 7 English classes to Rincon students. Oh my! Oh my! What else can I say? I had prepared classes according to the textbooks I had received for each grade. And then I had to change everything in the class. To a lower lever. To level 1, no - to level 0! They're having a really hard time with English. Even the 12th graders couldn't understand the simple questions about age, country, school, family... We started by repeating numbers, colors and names of ordinary objects. You don't see so many surprised eyes in one place often! The greatest challenge is a class with 29 students... and they will come to the class together. You cant split them because you need at least 30 students to do that. So imagine a class with 29 students that have to be taught English almost from the very beginning... on the condition that they learn from a textbook for 10th graders. I'd say that it is my greatest Rincon challenge. And they read ALL English words as they were Spanish... so I have to constantly correct their pronunciation. Ugh... there's a lot of work! I came out of each class sweating because I had to move, walk around, point at things and places all the time for them to understand me. And it's interesting that they don't have a break between classes! The ring of the bell means both the end of the class and the beginng of other one... so I have to manage to be in two places at once. C-h-a-l-l-e-n-g-e! But after all, everything that doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, doesn't it? :) So I'll continue to go further with repeating things 100 times and having a huge patience. There must be some improvement by June!
P.S. Many of the girls have gotten an allergy with a strong itching... may God protect us from it and take all the diseases away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment