Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chiquitas

I have spent almost 4 days side by side with 62 beautiful, noisy, talented, smiling, lively and fun Bolivian and Ayoreo chiquitas. There are 7 dorm rooms in my building, each of them has 4 or 5 bunk beds... and they're all occupied! Now it's never completely silent. Girls go to school in two shifts. At 8:00 AM younger girls go to classes, at 1:00 PM older girls go to classes. While one group is taking classes the other has different chores such as cleaning the dorms, gathering mowed grass, washing and ironing clothes, helping in the kitchen etc. Therefore there are louder or quieter voices all around. And I feel like they have gotten used to my appearance :D First days were really funny because time after time I wanted to go and look in the mirror to check if I don't have a huge broccoli between my teeth or something written on my face with a red ink... I had a feeling something is wrong with my face because of their looks  :D But now I'm accepted more or less. And the next level of relationship can begin. They want to talk to me. They ask all kinds of questions about my life, for example, What's my age? What's my mom's name? What language is spoken in my country? Do I have a husband? Is Latvia far? and so on... I can answer these questions in Spanish perfectly! And girls gladly help me understand more complicated questions, they help me with different verb forms. One girl asked me to help with her Math homework. That was a challenge! Since Math is not my favorite thing on the world I had to make some effort... plus - I had to explain that in Spanish! But I guess I succeeded... Girls gladly grab every piece of attention they can get. And every day I understand more and more strongly that they are my true mission here! I pray that God allows me to speak Spanish fluently very soon so that I can talk to them not only about my age and mother tongue. I think God sent me here to tell them a lot more! I'm really happy to be with them. On one hand they're like Latvian girls but on the other hand they're totally different... Every communication with them is like a little adventure! No wonder I see so interesting dreams every night! May God give me wisdom, strength and unceasing love! AND my prayer is for them to see that God is more than a Bible character they need to learn about because the teachers say so. Pray that they can get to know and love Him personally! For He is great, mighty, friendly and wonderful even in the deepest jungle, isn't He?
With noisy but very happy greetings from Rincon,
Profe Liene (that's what they call me here now) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment