Sunday, March 27, 2011

The countable and uncountable

When you live life in such limited environment as I do you start to take notice of different things, you start to count. For example, I count how many pens I have used :D I count how many toothbrushes and toothpastes I have used, how many times I have "shopped" at Rincon's shop, how many Sundays I have spent here, how many Sundays I still have to spend here, how many cakes we have had, how many times I have used the internet... how many times I have visited Ondina's dentist's office, how many times I have had an apple (two!), how many times I have had something that tastes like chicken (three!), how many times I have worn something... and some other things... I don't notice these things in Latvia. I guess since the circulation of information is so limited here, all these things gain a different value.
But there are so many things that are uncountable. For example, how many times I am greeted by my girls again and again. I can't count how many mosquitoes I have killed. Mosquitoes and different other tiny living creatures. Uncountable are all the plates, mugs, forks, knives, spoons and pots I have washed. I can't count how many times I have had to ask the same questions to my students in class until they remember what they need to know. Uncountable are the songs that have been sung by girls in dorms or kitchen. Also you can't count how many times it has been raining here. It happens so unusually often. I can't count how many cats are there in Rincon. Thousands! Mostly grey ones. And I laughed so much when one lady said that there are too many cats in Rincon and we should get rid of some of them :D They way she presented this idea was so specific... like you would plan to secretly blow up an atomic bomb :D I can't count how many frogs and toads  happen to be on my way when I walk through grass in the evening and make this loud noise during the night. And I don't know the number of all God's blessings that flow from Him without ceasing! He blesses Rincon with critically important rain that didn't rain in this time of the year in previous years. So it's not SO crazy hot as it is usually in this time of the year ( it's only 28-32C (82-90F)). We are blessed that we always have something to eat even though we happen to have some issues in this area once in a while. I want to thank God for health and endurance. The blessing s are uncountable as are the stars in Rincon sky :) But I want to count then every evening again and again...

No comments:

Post a Comment