Friday, March 11, 2011

Velta

I've been thinking about writing something about Velta for a long time. So I finally did it. Have you ever read The Book of Proverbs in The Old Testament of The Bible? Very exciting and educating reading material. The last chapter tells about a Super-turbo-woman. Men (I suppose) read it and wish they could marry her. Women read it and think it's not possible. If anyone hasn't read that chapter yet I suggest you read it now before you continue with my story.
It tells about a lady who, it seams, never sleeps but takes care of her family - she is active all the time, runs errands and works hard. I have also thought that it's simply impossible for a ordinary mortal woman. But it turns out it IS possible! I work with a such Superwoman day by day shoulder to shoulder. I'm talking about Velta, of course.
Her day starts at 4:30 AM when she has a quiet time, then she puts on special socks for veins slowly and carefully. They help her endure the long day when she has to stand or walk all the time. Then around 5:15 she goes to the kitchen to prepare the breakfast. At 5:40 she wakes up the girls. And then the work begins... She has so many duties... (Im taking a deep breath now to be able to list all she does.) She gives chores to girls in the kitchen, she gives products, instructions, recipes, advice, keeps an eye on their work. She checks the work in laundry house - makes sure the right clothes are washed, dried, ironed and fixed on the right time. She makes sure towels, curtains, clothes, bedding is resown, mended and patched. She's the saleswoman at mission's shop "Bolicho" where she works 3 times a week. She also works at the drustore, which means she takes care of all the sick people. And then there is a new law that school supplies can't be sold at the school premises. So we had to move all the books and school supplies to the drugstore... so Velta has to sell those things too. Then she leads evening devotionals for girls every night at 7:00 PM. On Sundays Velta is playing hymns on the synthesizer at both services and she also teaches a Sundayschool class. There is a copy machine in Velta's room so local people come to her and ask to copy different documents. She has to make sure all the girls always know their chores, have necessary medicine if they're sick, she has to be their mother and everything else. She has to lead a prayer and sing a song before the students eat, she has to make sure the older kids don't take smaller kids' food and vice versa... and many other things I can't write down... Velta is doing something all the time! And if my memory is right there is a law of conservation of mass in Physics, isn't there? You know, there is a law of conservation of work too! It's the one that works in Velta's hands. If I ever manage to take any task away from her, her hands find a new duty. Her most used question is ¿Que mas? (What else?). Very often she looks what is happening around and asks herself - what else is there to do? And you might thing I'm talking about a 30 year old woman who has so much energy that she can run all the time. No, we are talking about a lady who celebrated her 75th birthday few weeks ago. She seriously needs a leg surgery - doctor said it a long time ago. But, in order to do that she has to be able to lay down for 30 days after the surgery, no walking. And that is simply unthinkable... She admits herself that she couldn't live doing nothing for so long. And there isn't a 30 day period when we could manage without her care.
Velta is sick now - she has a flu. She's heavily coughing, has a runny nose and she walks around with muscle aches. My hearts breaks when I se how hard it is for her sometimes. But she NEVER complains! And that's the most amazing thing! Her love for work, care, hardworking spirit, determination and faithfulness are simply amazing! I do what I can to make her days easier. I'm asking you to pray for Velta. Pray for her legs and arms too because she has severe pain in her arms lately. Rincon needs her SO MUCH. Let's pray that God gives her the strength to serve for as long as she has to. And let's pray that someone comes to Rincon to take many of her duties. And I hope I will be able to take away some of her tasks :) Sometimes I manage to send her home, for example, when I know that I will be able to prepare everything for lunch with the girls that have kitchen duty that day. And those are those happy times when I have managed to give Velta a little rest... Thank you to God for her effort and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment