Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My sister Nature

I guess I will never stop wondering about the unsuspected elements of my "big sister"... always when I think that I have gotten used to all the insects and reptiles something new happen. This week was no different. For example, I saw an insect that was half ant, half wasp! Seriously! Size and colors like of a wasp but the body as of an ant... so weird... who knows what the insects do when the lights are out...
Then an insect was visiting my room that looked like a butterfly but had 8 legs. And his tail looked like that of a fish - it was split. He stayed in my rooms for 2 days. Now the body has disappeared, only the wings remained. I know it might sound like science fiction but I see these things every day!
I actually love to "sit" in my bathroom when it's dark, because I can see all the corners with my flashlight then - there is always a new guest. Yesterday there was a green, green frog on my wall as big as the palm of my hand. And not like the ones in Latvia! But Bolivian kind - with little balls at the end of each toe. And have have no idea how it gets here because my doors and windows are always shut. I guess thy find and invisible hole. When I had looked at the green frog I noticed a big, fluffy tarantula by the door. I shivered and jumped into my bed praying God that it wouldn't crawl into my bed. And God listened to my prayer :)
Then one day I was doing the dishes after breakfast in the kitchen. There were so many flies that dat. Mosquitoes had disappeared and flies had arrived. So I was standing there and fighting off the flies and then I felt something else was touching my toes. I looked down... aaaaaaaaah! I screamed like a girl - there was a snake! OK, it wasn't very big but it doesn't change the fact there it was a snake at my feet! Velta immediately ran to save me with a shovel and a broom. She said it was so called blind snake. And you will never guess where it got it's name! Because she really is blind :D It took some effort to get this incomprehensively moving creature on the shovel. And then quickly, quickly to the stove. That's where her life ended. And I thought - what a pathetic life, isn't it? No legs, no arms, not even eyesight... and you have to die in fire. Brr... Thank you God for legs, arms and eyes! :)
And I want to say a big, big Thank you to God for answering prayers! And I would really encourage you to pray in FAITH! Even a little prayer with a great faith can become true immediately. Example from my life. One day Ondina came to lunch feeling really bad and she wasn't smiling at all. It was so different than the Ondina I know. Her blood pressure was high which is very rare. But she had to continue fixing kid's teeth in the afternoon. She went to take a nap. I told God a little prayer but with faith. I thanked Him that after the nap Ondina will be able to stand up and feel a lot better. I just believed that God will do it. And do you know what happened? Around dinnertime I saw the smiling Ondina and she said how surprised she was to feel so much better. She took the nap and when she woke up she felt like nothing had happened. God listens. And God loves when we believe what He will do! Therefore, my dears, send God faith filled prayers not whining and doubtful ones. God is a mighty God and He loves when we realize His mightiness :)
It seems unbelievable that I have been away from Latvia for 2 months already. By the grace of God I have been able to endure so far even in times when I want to have a pitty party... In those moments I find a way how to fight off the sadness. For example, I go to visit some of the girls. Even several minutes with them give joy and smile. They are like a walking adventure! For example, one they day ran to the kitchen and called: Profe Liene, Profe Liene! What happend? They had caught a miserable, tall legged chicken and they wanted me to take a picture of the, and the chicken :D They also wanted me to hold it and eat it :D But that didn't happen. They kept the poor bird under the bed and then it ran away.
One other day the took me in the middle of them to look closely at my skin and hair. One of them asked: Why are you so white? Don't you have any sun in Latvia? :)
I love them to death. And they are another big reason why I am here. To be a friend for them, to give them some attention and love... because usually no one has time for them. But they are so eager to spend time together... and they grasp every piece of attention. So every night I try to either sing with them, play Ligretto, show pictures or braid their hair. And I know that they all will stay in my heart when I leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment