Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I've got a feeling...

Highschool girls approached me one day and asked me to sing "igafeeng". I couldn't understand at all what they were asking of me, I said there isn't such word in English. And they tried to give a more precise word. It took me some minutes to understand what they want for me. Turns out they had heard Black Eyed Peas song "I've got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night" somewhere and they wanted their English teacher to sing it for them :D I sang the parts I knew and they have been asking me to sing it any time they see me with an empty mouth ever since then :D I'm their radio :D
And girls teach me some of their songs regularly. It's a great honor for them when I give them my notebook and ask them to write down lyrics for me. And then we sing together. One song is particularly beautiful... kind of stinging... and when they sing it with their fateful voices it almost makes me cry. 
I will try to memorize at least a verse so I can sing it to you in Latvia :) Many of them ask me to teach a song in English. And some of them actually sing good foreign tongue! I also teach songs in my classes - it makes it a lot easier to teach them pronunciation and new vocabulary. Some simply can't pronounce some sounds but we sing anyway :) All classrooms have windows on both sides and they are always open to make sure there is some fresh air. Doors are always open too so the whole school (9 classrooms altogether) hears what "the English" are doing. Teachers and children who pass by look in to see what "that white teacher" is doing again :D But I have to try everything to help them learn the language!
Last Sunday (March 6) was a wonderful day. After long days of rain that morning the sun was shining. Luckily we were able to get ready for church! (Due to the rain services had been cancelled). I wore a belt for the first time since I left Latvia (Latvia's girls know how much I love belts:) ) and I felt like I was in Latvia :D I loved when my chiquitas looked what's that around my waist :D The belt fashion has not come here yet. I guess I should introduce it :D
After the service we ate a chocolate cake we baked ourselves. They eat cakes only on special occasions but I found a good recipe in a Brazilian cookbook - Velta and I agreed that we have to bake it because Sunday is also a day for celebration after all. Ondina was surprised why we are having on an ordinary day but it was worth it! We used instant coffee to make chocolate imitation and the cake was really good! Then we went to pastor's house because they told there was a package for me. What a joy that was - to receive a parcel from the outside world!!! I want to say a big thank you to Janie who sent me some really valuable and useful things. It was a great event - how I took it to my room, how I carefully opened it and enjoyed every component. I was so happy!
I went to Ondina in the afternoon to show her my Latvia pictures I had taken with me. I had a really good time. I learned so much about Ondina when I showed her my pictures :) She is so awesome. My best Latvian friend in Rincon. Velta is like Rincon's grandmother (that's what the locals call her) and Ondina is my best friend. There are no more Latvian ladies. And now I understand that on of the reasons God sent me here is to be here with these wonderful sisters not only my chiquitas from school! Actually my days are not as interesting as it might seem here. I just tend to see every day through more colorful glasses... That's why it is so important to encourage these ladies, joke with them... they are so important that's why it is so essential to make them smile and laugh once in a while. And that laugh is so special... not because it has a specific sound to it but because it's not everyday laugh. It is a great music that gives joy and energy to both themselves and the others :) So I gradually learn what was the reason God sent me here. And one of them is this ministry of presence. There is such term, isn't there? I can't remember if I came up with this term here or I heard of it before... But I really feel it is one of my missions! Rincon needs new, fresh, active, energetic and creative helpers!!! This "huge ship" in the middle of jungle is run by 4 grey-haired Latvians and few other missionaries, who need someone who would lift up some of the burden from their shoulders and help them look above the muddy land. They need  time and opportunity to lift up their heads and see the blue sky, golden sun and all other beauty. I speak both literally and figuratively here if you know what I mean... Let's pray for that to happen! :)
P.S. If anyone of you decide to come here I could find a room for you and make it cozy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment