Saturday, March 12, 2011

Indiana Jones, speakers and other goodies

As I have mentioned it before, life in the middle of jungle teaches you to value certain much higher than life amidst civilization. Last Sunday when I entered the church I was thrilled to see that there were speakers and music was playing!!! It is something very special because so far the only thing that played there was Velta's synthesizer. And now the light room was filled by happy worship songs in Spanish. And even the hymns had accompaniment from records. I deeply enjoyed the regular and successful combination of melody and rhythm!
On sunday night I was invited for a movie. I missed TV and movies so much. And my friend Ondina heard of it and she welcomed me in her home to watch a Sunday afternoon movie. While we waited for it to start (for about an hour) we checked other channels which didn't leave me indifferent. For example, have you seen a Tv channel where they sell ONLY cows or ONLY horses? :) We are used to TV Shop shows in Latvia, aren't we? So here we were entertained by watching how cows walk through meadows slowly and significantly swaying their hips. And they have no idea that someone looks at them as a potential purchase. Then we also watched a musical Brazilian show that was a mess! A quite chubby but very energetic middle-aged woman was hosting a samba show where everyone was singing, dancing, clapping hands and simply having a fun time. This woman was wearing a see through lace outfit and countless necklaces and bracelets. Ondina's comment was that it's just her style :) And I fascinated that there was a pastor at the show who is also a musician and he said that he is an evangelist. He was visiting the show and singing some Christial salsa songs. It was interesting to see that the nun who had come with the pastor was dancing side by side with a girl in a tiny Rio carnival outfit with glitters and feathers. Totally Brazilian! But then the long awaited movie started! We didn't know what to expect but it was something very suitable. A movie about South American jungle in 1936 - a perfect environment! And the leading actor was Harrison Ford. Of course, the movie was about Indiana Jones heroic adventures. And I was surprised how much I enjoyed the movie. I respect Harrison Ford a lot but he has never been my favorite actor. I think he is now :D Because he's the only actor I have seen here. Ondina gave me some nuts and we spend a cozy Sunday afternoon at the dear TV :) Actually it's really nice to watch TV with Ondina - she gives really good comments :D
Then I would like to mention one recent goodie - peanut butter! Awesome Don Fernando brought us a bad of peanuts. We roasted those peanuts and for the first time in my life I was watching how butter is squeezed out of peanuts by a special machine! I thought it came from a shop... but it turns out you can make it yourself! And we mixed it with honey from brother Harry's bees and had this unbelievably delicious spread we put on bread for breakfast. It's so tasty...
And if we have started to talk about food, something else under the same topic. Kristine asked me in a comment if I'm eating bananas. And the time has come when I can solemnly announce that I'm really eating bananas! Some of you may think: what a miracle! everyone eats bananas in Latvia :D But it is a miracle in my case because I never voluntarily eat bananas. I don't like them. But now I have to speak in Past tense - I didn't like them. Now I'm even very happy when brother Harry brings a bunch of bananas to kitchen and hangs it on a nail with a big wire so that everyone can take some for a snack. They taste here differently - they are a bit sour... at least it seems like they are. And baked bananas are a heavenly treat! But you have to thoroughly rub the pans because they always are burnt but it's worth it. Bananas are the only fruit we get here... that's why I have learned to love them. 
And the last story about food. Unfortunately they don't grow any vegetables here anymore. They used to but not anymore. Pastor brings them once a week on the plane. But due to many reasons he couldn't go to the city for 2 weeks. And those were not easy weeks. Of course, we all are thankful  for daily beens and rise but when it's all you eat for 2 weeks it gets a little... boring. We made salads form pasta to bring something different to the table :) When the pastor finally went to the city I had hallucinations for several days because all the motor sounds seemed like that of an airplane. I and all others waited for some veggies. And it finally came... oh... cucumbers and tomatoes have never been SO enjoyed like at the first dinner...
These and other little things give very much joy and color our days!

No comments:

Post a Comment