Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hello my dears!

I'm sending you all, all my love! And it is BIG!
Life goes on in Rincon. I'm doing very good. This week was very, very joyful! Pastor went to the post office finally and brought me THREE parcels - one from my big brother, one from my sister and on from my sister's mother-in-law. What a joy that was! Wednesday was my happy day. My excitement was bigger than I have ever had at Christmas or birthdays. I received so many loving words and useful things. I would like to highlight some things - I finally have a good Spanish dictionary that will improve my life significantly. And I got some chocolate! First piece I took felt like a little piece of Heaven... it was so good :) I'm saving it now so I can have  bite every day :) And I finally got a new charger for my video camera. I think I burned the first one with Bolivian power. Now everything is ok and I was making videos today. First shot was very educating... I will show it only to those above 18. Of course, it has something to do with the love processes here in Rincon :D This time the story is about turtles who live in one of Rincon's courtyards :)
And I had a great joy when the fantastic principal Panfil gave me a phone card that let me call my family in Jelgava through the satellite phone. And I got to speak to mom, dad and little brother. In the first moment mom and I just exchanged shouts of joy because we couldn't believe that this phone call is for real! It was so nice to talk to my loved ones! I have been here in Rincon for 2 months, I've been away from Latvia for more than 2 months. Gradually everything that has to do with home and Latvia gains more and more value. Although it is something invaluable in itself....
What else? It's interesting that as I become closer with the girls they start to show their characters - they become more genuine. And I simply love them more and more! But it was interesting to see that a girl from 12th grade got offended by me and didn't talk to me for a day. Next morning I found out that it was because I gave her a bad mark at an English test... And that's why she thought that Profe Liene is bad and decided not to talk to me anymore :D But we agreed that it is better to talk and use this opportunity that your English teacher lives in the same building and you can ask her for help regarding English classes. Now Ana Isabel talks to em again and greets me with a smile.
Tooth brushing has become smoother. They "smell" from a distance that Liene is coming and they'll have to brush and show their teeth. So the check up goes quicker. I have added feet to the check up because some of them wanted to go to bed with muddy feet. So now I check both teeth and feet of 60 girls at 8:15PM before they go to bed. Of course we have some "issues" - they hide under the bed, eat toothpaste to get fresh breath, some of them hide in the closet or bathroom. But since they know everything about each other - I easily get to find out where is the missing girl and see their feet and teeth! This process usually continues until 8:30PM when the lights go out. Then I spend another 15 or 20 minutes walking through the rooms and  making sure they really go to bed. They love to sneak out and visit other rooms. So I have to discipline them a bit. Sometimes they make a party in the hallway, they suck mate - it's the coolest way how to spend your free time here. Mate is a tea from tiny pieces of tea leaves, they put it in an interesting horn with a metal "straw", pour cold water over it and pass it around and suck. It cool :D But it's not allowed when the lights are off. Therefore I have to help them remember the rules.
Sometimes they get offended by me but they love Profe Liene after all :D because in the morning they greet me with a smile and they keep greeting me 5-7 times a day. I'm telling you - you would love them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment