Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cuñada, mamii and madrina

These three words describe different relationships. I have something to say about each one of them. First one -- cuñada. It’s sister-in-law. Some of the 6th and 7th grade girls started to call me so lately. Why? Because they looked at my little brother Karlis in my Latvia pictures and they liked him a lot. They asked me to introduce them to him... and they are willing to get married to him. And then I’d become their cuñada. :D Second word -- mamii. That one is clear -- it’s mommy of course. One night when I had checked all girls and admitted that they are clean I walked through all the rooms again to remind them to be quiet and wish them sweet dreams. The youngest girls who sleep next to my room told me: Buenas noches, mamii! (Good night mommy!) Wow... I didn’t expect anything like this... so sweet... I’ll be honest with you -- I almost had a half tear in my eye... Our yongest girl Rosa (Rosita) sleeps there and she is only 6... once in a while she runs to me, hugs me tightly and calls me mammii... oh, poor little thing... both of her sisters are here too, they are a little older than her, but she misses her mommy of course... I happily hug her again and again! Madrina. This word doesn’t describe a relationship but it’s a word that is given to the senior class’ special teacher. Each class picks a padrino or a madrina. It’s a person who’s picture is put in the same frame with the senior class’ and school principal’s pictures that later hangs in the teacher’s room. It is a person who the senior class has chosen to be with on their graduation day... so on Father’s day when the girls and I were sitting and watching football they suddenly asked me: Profe Liene, would you like to be the madrina of our class? And I didn’t know what to say... of course I would like to! A lot! But the graduation is in October... and I won’t be here anymore :( The girls are saying that I have to return... and I didn’t know how to respond... I would LOVE to do it! It is a huge honor that they asked me something like this! And I would love to take this honorable role... but I guess I won’t be able to do it. Only if I happen to be under money rain and then I could return here in October for their graduation :) Actually I’m having the hardest time with this class in English because they feel and are big. But they don’t like that they have big requirements in english class even though their knowledge is very poor... but I have to teach them from 12th grade book. It’s a very complicated process. I’m trying to use different approaches and methods with them but it’s so hard to break the ice. Finally the ice broke a little today. It was a huge satisfaction both for me and them! Pray, that during this short period of time while I am working with them they can learn SO, SO much.. that they really would have a good English foundation to build more knowledge on it :) Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE to work with them? I guess more than once. I have different issues... sometimes they cheat on tests, copy other student’s homework, lie and do all other things that happen at school, but I like it anyways!
Sometimes I feel down. There are moments when I get bored and I want some change. But I thank God -- I have many fantastic promises in my head and my Bible that help me cheer up and go on. And there are many things that give me joy, strength and energy. For example, the beautiful Samuel’s and Panfila’s love story, walks on the air field, awesome cheese and banana pies I learned to make, the total mess girls make when they mop the floors because they mop themseves too -- they roll on the floor, sit in the sink and rub themselves with Omo :D I’m delighted that all girls learned to sing “Open the eyes of my heart” with great excitement! I can’t complain about boring life because there is a bat that falls from the ceiling, tarantula that I managed to smash with a bowl, crazy night-moth who tries to crash me and grasshoppers that jump around. I’m fascinated by the village life where everyone knows everything about everyone. Everyone notices when someone leaves or passes them by. They know where you are at any given moment. And who knew - it’s contagious! I have started to notice better what happens around me. And the girls ALWAYS notice when I go somewhere or change my location or I’m carrying something etc...
Oh, I forgot to mention the phenomenon after Father’s day football. Since the sun was shining my white flesh became red, of course. And it seemed like I was again in my first week here when they were so surprised to see my white skin. Now they were staring at me because Profe Liene was red :D Even two teachers took a photo of me :D Today they said that Profe Liene is brown :)
And I loved that one day Ondina announced that I’m not complicated :D It’s supposed to be a very good characteristic :)
And I loved that one day a British biologist with two Bolivian helpers came here and stayed for couple of days. They came here to research some plants. We met at a moonlight night by Rincon’s gates. I could immediately tell by his “face” that he is not a local, I was able to help him find the right house. The following day he asked what my nationality is because he was sure I’m Canadian or American. We had a nice conversation and then he left to look for some new plant species.
Life goes on! I’m still very grateful for every day, for this place and this time. Please, keep praying for Velta’s endurance and new helpers! We need to pray for a Brazilian couple especially who are looking after the boy’s dorms. They are having a hard time. They speak very little Spanish and they don’t have any children so it’s a bit complicated. But they are VERY needed here. Let’s pray that they too can learn the language QUICKLY and understand the boys and the specifics about raising children in this area. They have a hard work to do. But God has a lot of strength that He can give them!
I’ll have to go to Corumba soon, because the 3 months since I entered Brazil will be over and my 3 month visa will expire. I’ll have to do something with my passport. I hope it goes well. And it will be good to change the environment a little! And then I will fly with the pastor on his tiny airplane :) It’s going to be an adventure! I have to run to check the feet and teeth! :) May God bless you abundantly! And most importantly -- believe in big things!!! :) God is able!
WOW, I managed to attach some pictures! One is with me and Velta, we baked those pasties. The other one is of me and my youngest Rincon friend Valerie!




No comments:

Post a Comment