Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Don Fernando

For several weeks I heard locals speak that Don Fernando is going to come to Rincon. I had no idea who he is, but it seemed that it has to be a really good thing because everyone was so happy he is coming here. And then during a dinner time the doors opened and HE walked in - Don Fernando. Tall, well-built man who had almost white hair. He looked at me because I was the only one he didn't know in the room. So I said my name. He asked me in Spanish where I am from. I said that I come from Latvia. And then he asks me in Latvian: Are you from Riga? WOW, why no one told me earlier he's Latvian? :) We had a good conversation. He said about me: You are the Long Awaited One :) And immediately I had someone to talk to. Usually I spend all meals in silence because by my right sit two Brazilians who don't speak Spanish. And I don't speak Portuguese. By my left sit all three gentlemen - Latvians Harijs and Janis who don't hear very well. If I want to ask anything I have to speak pretty loud and clear :) And usually there is brother Romans at the table - an Ukranian. A really nice brother, one of those who works all the time. So I usually sit with these 3 gentlemen who are 70 and older and 2 Brazilians who are usually silent. Sisters Velta and Ondina are with the kids during meals, they join us when you already see only dirty plates around... That's why I was so happy that Don Fernando sat at our table! He is Fernands Apse and he came to Brazil with his parents when he was 4. Now he's a grandfather with a rich life experience. He lived in Rincon with his wife for 8 years, he took care of all the livestock in Rincon. Since he has to take care of his grandchildren, he has less time to come to Rincon. But I understand why everyone was so happy to see him. He is a very kind, loving man with a good sense of humor and he hears well which is not an insignificant detail. That night when we were cleaning up the kitchen and got ready to go to bed Don Fernando came in once more and gave me a little plastic bag and told me to hide it in my room. I later found out that there were 2 pastries and an apple. Apples are very rare here, so I'm saving that apple for a special moment, when I'll be really craving for it. Soft fresh pastries also seem very special. He is staying here for a week but seems like he has always been present and he's a part of everything that's going on here in Rincon. May God give many more people like him to Rincon!

No comments:

Post a Comment