Friday, January 14, 2011

6th and the last full day in Rio

... because tomorrow I'm going to the next place! Today we went to the huge Rio bus station to buy a ticket for a bus to Campinas. I leave Rio on Friday at 11:45PM and arrive in Campinas next morning at 7:15AM. William Avots will meet me there and take me to Nova Odessa by his car which should take about an hour. There I will stay with a Latvian lady Zinaīda, who will kindly host me for the weekend. On Monday afternoon  at 4:00PM I will take a bus to Corumba, which is located next to the Bolivian border. This ride will take 24 hours but the good news is that I will not go alone. A Latvian lady will also go to Rincon together with me. Her name is Undina and she serves at the mission as a dentist. So I will have a wonderful opportunity to learn a lot about the mission in Rincon on my way there! Someone from Rincon will meet us in Corumba and take us to the jungle :) I have no idea when will be the next time I have internet access...
Today we had great plans and also small plans. And they changed all the time. We ate lunch at Thiago's parents'. And Zanda and I could do nothing but sit calm and smile because our four dear Brazilians had heated discussions all the time... One of the plans was to go to a local Botanical garden, because Zanda and I thought that the weather is perfect for that. It was a bit cooler today, about +29C (+84F) and the sun was not burning so hot but gently embracing us with it's warmth. However Thiago said that we can't go to Botanical garden because it's RAINING! That's what Brazilians call the weather when it's lower than their usual +37C (+98F). :) He was absolutely sure that everything will be wet any minute... well, we never saw any rain :D
Some other plans were cancelled. But I'm glad we got to go to the pride of Rio - huge Maracana football (soccer) stadium which was the biggest in the world until Japanese built something bigger. Out of respect for Thiago's passionate love for football we looked at and captured in photos almost anything there was at the stadium. I posted some of the pictures here! We found pins with Latvian and Brazilian flags at the souvenir shop. Of course we bought them with great pride and pinned them to our chests. (PLEASE, don't try to convince me that it is Austrian flag, not Latvian!) :)
Late in the evening we went to a shopping mall and bought A LOT of food and went home talking about going to a pizza place. When we arrived home to put food in the fridge we understood that we don't want to go out anymore... and then we heard the quote of the day. From Thiago, of course! Remember I mentioned earlier that plans were changed all the time? So, here goes Thiago: I don't like when people change their plans so much! And Zanda and I were speechless... we didn't expect to hear it from him :D But we love Thiago and his Brazilian relatives anyway!
My skin feels and looks a lot better! It should be OK in couple of days! Now you have to pray for safety during my night bus ride. It is quite exotic... but everything will be ok! Thiago picked the most respectable bus company! :)
Thank you for your prayers, thoughts, support and comments - it all enlightens me and warms my heart!

2 comments:

  1. Liene, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I have loved reading about your adventures in Rio and can't wait to hear about Bolivia. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liene, I am sending lots of prayers and hugs. The Bolivian jungle will never be the same once you arrive! Love you!

    ReplyDelete