Monday, January 17, 2011

Greetings from Nova Odessa!

Hello my dear friends!
Finally I got to use the computer. Such a joy.
I'm at aunt Valda's home, she brought me to her shed where she keeps her computer and lets her cats sleep.
My head is so full of everything that has happened lately, I don't even know what to tell in this brief moment I get to be at the computer.
My weekend in Nova Odessa was wonderful!!!

There are so many Latvians in Nova Odessa! Some of them speak Latvian very well, some only understand spoken Latvian and nod, some can say two sentences: 1) That's crazy! 2) I want water! But I could find common language with everyone. The youth of First Baptist church welcomed me  very kindly and instantly treated me as one of their own. They took me to a movie theater and to local restaurants. I tried sugar cane juice. They took me to a real Brazilian farm, where they grow coconuts, bananas, avocado, mango, jaca and many other miracles instead of Latvian apples and pears. I don't even remember the names off all the fruit there but I tried EVERYTHING they gave me.
On Sunday morning I went to Nova Odessa's First Baptist Church and I told the congregation why I am going to Rincon. Many people here doesn't understand why I am doing this. I was introduced to soooo many people after church... I remember only few names...
Then was the golden moment! There is a Latvian guy Renāts Stepanovs who has his back yard full of cars and things alike. He owns a Ford Maverick from 1975... and he was driving me around in this car... WOW!!! If take back my words that Thiago is a crazy driver, because Renāts drived really CRAAAZY!But since he is an experienced driver, it is safe :) I added some pretty pictures of his Maverick... then we rode a bike and a sports car. Local youth said it's because I need to get used to crazy life because Rincon will be crazy!
Then they took me to a fantastic restaurant that offers so many salads... there were 39 different kinds of salad, I tried almost everything! And then they brought meat. All the time... lots of meat... I loved it! I ate some pork, some beaf, some goat, some chicken and chicken hearts.
On Sunday evening I went to another church where they had a baptism service. They said it's a modern church because they play drums there! Usually none of my friends goes there.
My host Zinaīda is the nicest lady on the world! She called me Laimiņa (Good luck) all the time instead of calling me Liene. I felt at home, she took such a good care of me. You can see her in the top picture. I had a special friendship with her grandson Oliver. Such a sweetie! He's the youngest boy in my pictures :) They gave me banana cake and coconut cake for breakfast this morning... and many of you know my "love" for bananas and coconuts, so I'm learning to eat new things!
It's raining today, and if it's raining there are rivers instead of streets! But it felt so refreshing after yesterday's +37C (+98F)!
Im drinking the best Brazilian drink Guarana now and waiting for lovely aunt Valda to finish cooking lunch. And then aunt Zinaīda will take me to a cemetery :) Yes!
And then we will go to neighboring town Americana where I will get on the bus to Corumba. Different people say me different things about the length of the ride... I hope it will be only 24 hours as they said at the bus station. I will be able to learn everything about Rincon because I will go together with a Latvian lady Undine.Nova Odessa is FULL of Latvians. And they all are relatives! everywhere I go they introduce me to someone and turns out they're Latvian. So I felt like I was in Latvia :)
I have no idea how long BITE will provide me with cell phone service. But it has delivered all the beautiful messages from Latvia so far.
I am VERY happy today! There are great things ahead of me. God knows what they will be.
Oh , by the way, dentist Undine said she has heard talks that in Rincon I will have my own house. She asked me if I'd be afraid to live alone there. Well... if local indians doesn't come to visit me, it should be fine :D
I have no idea when I will be able to use the computer again. But as soon as I can, I will tell you what has happened in my life!
Thank you for your prayers! See you online in Bolivia ;)
Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment