Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's good!

Hello, my dear friends! It's been another beautiful day in Rincon, it was Friday, January 28. By the way - nameday greetings to KARLIS :)
I'd love to write about EVERYTHING that's going on here but unfortunately there is not enough time... we only have so much electricity here. I'll try to summarize the most important things that have happened lately!
Finally I met Panfil, pastor Samuel's wife and director of the school in Rincon. There are very few women like her in the whole world. Her energy, aura, power, expression, temperament, love, brightness... it all creates such a unique personality! She comes from Mexico and her grandmother is Gypsy. She believes those things give her the crazy amount of energy. She is 53 but there is nothing that would make you believe she's not 25 anymore, because that's the age she seems to have. She has so many responsibilities and duties... as she says herself, both Samuel and she work 24/7. For most of the people here you can't draw a line between their work time and private time, it's all the same... Since she speaks English, I am very, very happy there is someone I can have a nice conversation with! And she immediately "hired" me as a high school English teacher for grades 9-12. I'll teach on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'll wear a teacher's uniform - a white robe that looks a little like doctor's attire. Panfil gave me books, a notebook with a bear on the front cover, pen, pencil and pencil sharpener and said: Now you have everything you need to start working! Tomorrow morning (on Saturday) at 8:00 AM is a meeting for all teachers that I have to attend so that I can be introduced to my new colleagues. And on Tuesday at 8:00 AM is the beginning of the new school year that I have to attend, of course. There I will be introduced to parents. WOW! This will be my first real work experience at school. So far I have been only an intern at school and at my work place I taught adults... but now it's going to be a real school with real students PLUS they're Ayoreo and Bolivian students!!! Pray that God gives me the right attitude, words, approach, wisdom so that I can help them learn a lot!
This year 150 students from near and far will study at the school. Some students have traveled 100kilometers (62 miles), they flew here on Samuel's plane because the roads are too muddy for their parents to drive them to school. Unfortunately we they had to deny the chance to study here to 30 students at least. And there are those who are denied this opportunity every year. The reason is that there is a GREAT lack of people in the mission. Of course, the is always a lack of money and premises for extra students too but the greatest deficit is PEOPLE! Panfil also stressed that when she told me about situation in the mission. There are sponsors who are willing to give more... there are people, who are ready to come on short term mission trips to build extra buildings, if there is such need. But there is a lack of people who would be able to stay here for a longer period of time. There is a great need for people who'd work at the boarding school and take care of it, and help the students in any need they have. They need a kitchen manager. And they need a person who takes care of all the practical things in the mission as Velta does. I'll make a separate blog entry about her. Pray for Velta. She does A LOT more than one person is capable of. You'll definitely hear about her again!
The school in Rincon is widely known and very necessary for many kids. The Latvians who once established this mission one by one leave this place and go to Heaven... there is no one really who would take their place. So please pray - maybe one of you has to come here soon! And this is a really wonderful place, and you grow and learn so much here!
My friend Sharon came in and she is sending warm greetings to all my friends in Latvia (and beyond)! She is muy bonita!
I just wanted to add that I really don't have much time on the computer and I don't have time to check every website so in order to save time I will check my blog and only this email - liene.svoka@inbox.lv. So if there is anything you want to tell me personally, please email to this address.
And again, huge thank you for your thoughts and prayers! And thank you for leaving comments on my blog - they are like tiny messengers of you :D I love you all and I'm running to my room while the electricity is still on. Otherwise I'll be eaten by one of the little creatures that await me here in multitudes!
Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. I just love to read your blog, Lienit!
    Praying for you and I know you are in the place you need to be now :) you are AMAZING and you have such a beautiful heart :)

    ReplyDelete