Saturday, June 18, 2011

Back in Santa Cruz

We got out of our beautiful bus at 7:30 on Monday morning. We were a little tired and sleepy and hopped on a bus which's doors open and close faster that in Moscow underground! We were happy to take a shower and sleep in a read bed. We cleaned up and went to downtown where Panfila had an appointment at eye doctor's. While we were waiting in the line I made a very beautiful purchase - a dress to wear at Karlis' wedding :) When my friends wrote me letters to read in Bolivia at my good-bye party, he had written me something. One of the things was a reminder to think about something to wear at his wedding. So I took it seriously and found something :) That was such a wonderful feeling to try on one beautiful dress after another... and it was even more wonderful to have one of them in my shopping bag :)
Then Panfila surprised me, she took me to a beauty salon and I had manicure and pedicure! It was like a dream come true... I felt a little uncomfortable to show my interesting looking hands and feet... but... it's her job...mmm...I hadn't had such soft feet in a LONG time...
SOme more shops, parks, meals, taxis , crazy Santa Cruz traffic, local boys' comments and remarks, some curious looks, a night spent at Jansons' home... and we went to the airport in the morning to go back to Puerto Suarez. I have forgotten many things but one thing I remember VERY well. The way our taxi driver 'flew' us to airport. All traffic signs, lights and other cars 'backed off' to him. I don't know what was the speed but I had a feeling that we will take off soon. But he was perfectly calm. He was talking on his phone or humming a tune. And he changed radio channels often. He changed it very quickly when a Beatles song came up. I guess he cant stand it :D
The airport was tiny, tiny. We met Aaron and Hannah there and they went to Puerto Suarez  with us. They are from Dallas and they went to Rincon to stay there until August. I really wasn't surprised when they opened our gates at 1:25PM and our flight was scheduled at 1:30PM. It took just an hour to take off. My favorite part is that metal detector wasn't working. Panfila had a knife in her carry-on, I had all kinds of liquids. Several person's had 4 or even 5 carry-on bags. Two security persons inspected our bags manually. The little lady who checked my bags opened my newly bought glue stick and thoroughly snuffed it :D When she didn't smell anything suspicious there, she let me through. Security level - crushing :D But it fits Bolivia so well. Something started to drip from the overhead bins during the flight. A flight attendant came and put bunch of napkins in the gap. She gave some to the passenger who sat under the dripping bag so he can clean up himself :D We didn't hear the usual security announcements. We landed in Puerto Suarez airport. I loved how checked-in luggage was distributed. All bags were put in a pile by an airport window. The window was opened and then all Bolivians started to shout which bag they want. The one who shouted the loudest, got the bag first. We stood at the side and laughed - if they distribute the bags just like that, we might ask for the biggest :D
Then I had the joy to go to Rincon on the mission's plane together with the Americans. A young, very pale and thin couple :) Their Spanish is as good and my knowledge of tractor motor structure - almost nonexistent :) But both of them are very determined to serve and do everything that is needed.
There days passed by so quickly. Almost like and unbelievable fairy tale! I am SO thankful to God and Panfila for the chance to see a little bit of real Bolivia :) An exciting country that doesn't stop surprising you!

No comments:

Post a Comment