Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Santa Cruz

I'm writing this post a week after our trip. I hadn't had time for writing earlier. Now I successfully found a 30 minute gap. Before I return to my 'foreign' adventures I would like to mention that I'm writing with especially 'decorated' hands :D My left thumb has a blue nail and a black arc below it, it's a bright memory from Cochabamba, I'm starting to use my poor thumb now. I have two skin burns on my right arm. I got them a week ago when I tried to save a puppy from drowning in hot porridge. Unfortunately I didn't save this lovely, black puppy's life... and the unsuccessful life saving operation left 2 burns on my arm. The porridge had just been taken off stove. Even though I used a special rubber glove for hot things few boiling drops left some marks. But now a week later they're almost gone. I just have ugly scars. And I 'like' my fingertips that have lost their pattern due to laundry soap, dish washing liquid and chalk. My hands are speckled... but my fingers are still moving fast and thank God I can work!
Now about both Bolivia's cities. I was very surprised how advanced is Santa Cruz! Few times I felt like I was in Houston because the downtown was very modern and promising! Of course, the moment you're out of downtown, you can see very Bolivian places. The most impressive place was the big market. If I used to thing that Riga Central market is big then now I consider it a small booth. Santa Cruz's merchant paradise is many times bigger. We got to see just a little part of it. They have arranged their goods in two stories. It's a labyrinth or narrow paths that are packed with goods on both sides. Buyers and sellers always bargain. Pretty I learned the skill from Panfila and was happy to save some Bolivians. On one side of the market a girl danced, she was wearing colorful skirts and her tape recorder was by her feet. I had to smile as she reminded me of the old lady who dances in Old Riga. I thought I'm looking at a smaller version of her. There were plenty of beggars who approached you very closely and they almost pressed their begging hands to your chest. Many sellers are kids. 10, 11, 12 year old businessmen who surprised me by their firmness and resistance to bargain. The market was full of Armani, Gucci, Chanel and other brands. I doubt they're originals :) Prices were pretty good. I could afford some souvenirs and other stuff :)
If honestly I don't remember much about Santa Cruz :D We spent most of the day in the market, ate at several places, and walked through parks. I chose to have chicken wherever it was possible because I have had enough beef. Modern, big city, full of contrasts. We left our stuff at Janson's family home and went to the bus that would take us tooooo Cocha-Cocha-Cocha-Bambaaaaahhhh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment