Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chiao chicas!

It's Tuesday, June 21. It's the official beginning of winter here. But it doesn't mean snow and cold weather. It +30C (+86F) here and sun is shining brightly.
The biggest and saddest memories of my life are behind me. Friday and Saturday was not easy. We had good-bye dinner at the dorms on Friday night. We baked a big, colorful cake, made juice. Each room had prepared a song, poem, drawings, speeches, gifts and cards for me... so, so special. Girls were singing dashingly... until it was 5th room's turn. The oldest girls with the strongest voices live there. They began the song very powerfully but it became quieter with every line because girls started to cry... and many other joined them... next performance was from rooms 6 and 7. Fabiola said a long speech who cried the whole time... more girls joined the crying crowd.... and then I had to say something... I was totally wet too. And then there was a moment when ALL 60 of them cried... I had never experienced anything like that! It was a very sad moment on one hand but on the other had... it was such a moment on love... I LOVE all my 60 girls SO much and they have accepted me like their own. I'll be bringing so many memorabilia home in my suitcase...
We had breakfast at 6:00 AM on Saturday morning. At 7:00 AM first parents arrived to pick up their dear girls. They gave my their last good-bye hugs. Some had tears in their eyes, some couldn't grieve because their had their moms beside them they hadn't seen for a long time. Soon Velta, too, left. She left me her brown bag with all the keys and phone cards locals come to buy every day... and Rincon's kitchen and other household duties are under my responsibility...
When all girls were away my dearest friend Lady Laura was still here. She helped me make dinner and clean up everything. Then we took a nap in her room. She blew her plastic whistle for the last time. She remembered our beautiful farewell moment from last night... after lunch we went to sit in a nice shade behind the dorms where bamboos and palm trees grow. We sang together... cried... and talked about Jesus, about Heaven, tried to understand whether she is going to Heaven. Lady Laura hadn't accepted Jesus in her heart yet, even though Velta had had talked to her about it several times. I asked her what keeps her from making that decision. She said she couldn't live without sin... Then I calmed her down that even out pastor doesn't live without sin. We all are sinners... only by God's grace we are forgiven... and she said that she'll write me a letter when she accepts Jesus. I continued and said that it's one of the decisions you can't delay for whole life... some more questions, some more answers, my testimony... and she asks me with sparkling eyes - what about this moment? Can I accept Jesus in my heart right now? Of course! And that was a very beautiful moment... it seemed like this moment alone was worth coming here! Bamboo leaves gently rustled, sun was shining on our cheeks through the branches... and Lady Laura hugged me tightly and asked Jesus into her heart... We decided that it would be very nice if our houses were next to each other in Heaven!
It was just the two of us on Saturday and we started to cook dinner. She said she'll make rice. Then all of a sudden I heard such a happy and excited " Mammii!!!" and we could forget about rice. Her long awaited mom could finally arrive in Rincon. Few minutes later Lady Laura returned to me with tears in her eyes and we took leave almost without words... tears and the gentle hug said everything...
When Lady Laura left I finally felt emptiness in my heart...
I couldn't believe that it's OVER... girls were gone... Of course, I don't know how mother s feel but somehow during these moths I felt a little bit like their mom... I'm so grateful for this opportunity to get to know my 60 chicas. I will never forget them!
Please pray that they remember about Jesus not only here but also at their homes and further lives!

1 comment:

  1. Reading your comments on Rincón made me travel back in time. I had just graduated from Seminary and went to serve in Rincón for three years (1989-1991). After my time in Bolivia I went to Rio and then came back to my hometown Nova Odessa. I'm the senior pastor of the Central Baptist Church here. Good to see that young people are still hearing God's call. God Bless you. Davi Liepkaln

    ReplyDelete