Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bom dia, Americana!

No, I'm not in America yet, but in Nova Odessa neighbor city Americana. The owner of this internet cafe is a very talkative Palestinian from Bethlehem! He says that I should move here because there are many people from my country in Brazil and I could be one them. He says, that Brazil is a free country, that's why people should live here. All Brazilians want to talk whenever they have a chance.
So yesterday we arrived in Nova Odessa. I praised God from all my heart when I could finally get off the bus because it was like a freezer. I had 5 layers on during the night and I was covering myself with a coat, I tied the hood tightly and covered my face with a scarf. It was TERRRRRIBLY cold! Ondina had a hat, she pulled it down under her nose so it would be warmer. And she put her bag on her knees so they wouldn't freeze so much. I had never been so cold in a Latvian winter as I was that night. But now I'm staying at Ondina's home and she started the heater. Last night was wonderful!
Now we are at a neighbor city Americana. Ondina showed me her former work place, we went to several shops. I bought a dress! It's such a wonderful feeling when you have something new and feminine :) I'm enlightened by supermarket shelves that are full of choices. For a while I only dreamed about this. I start to remember of benefits of civilization and sometimes I catch myself smiling about the fact that city life is nice.
We rode Ondina's Volkswagen TL from 1974. Who would have thought that Ondina is such a good driver! She said she'll let me drive too!
I saw some Latvians yesterday. Everyone wants to talk to me, to tell me something, they invite me for lunch, invite me to stay with them. It was a real adventure to talk to Ondina's brother Nil. His Latvian is SO wise and intellectual, maybe few college professors talk as wise as him! I really had to think to find the right words that would match his wording. I got used to very simple Latvian in the jungle.
We will go to Ondina's sister-in-law for lunch. Her name in Nancy, she also speaks Latvian. Just think about it, it's so interesting that SO many people speak Latvian here on the other side of the world...
I'm really happy about this week in Nova Odessa. They call me firefighter because I'm rushing to leave... :D But it's better to visit a little bit then don't visit at all, isn't it?
And in a week I will be in America with my sister and other loved ones.
By the way, our dear bishop Peter Sprogis will attend The Brazil's Latvian Baptist Congress. And our Prime Minister Valdis Dombrovskis will come, too! It's a pity I can't stay but I will meet him another time.
HUGE thank you to those who texted or called me. I can receive everything but I can't call or text myself. Every word I received both orally or in writing was fantastic!!! I almost felt at home! My dears, I love you so much!
And I love my time in Nova Odessa!
OK, Ondina is waiting for me. She finished her shopping and we have to go to have lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment